APPLICATION AND CARE TIPS
BRUSH CARE GUIDE
Natural hair brushes are an investment and should be treated in a similar way to your own hair. As they are the same as the hair on your head, they can also be prone to kinks, scratchiness and shedding if not cared for properly. Synthetic brushes, whilst easier to care for and hardier to rough treatment, will never be able to achieve the same result or level of performance as a natural brush. Our brushes are designed specifically for optimal performance, and make blending powders and creams easier than you could have ever imagined!
How do I wash my brushes?
Natural hair brushes are best washed in a mild liquid soap (we recommend pure castile soap or similar) and brush cleaning products containing alcohol or ethanol should never be used. Harsh cleansers and alcohols will dry the moisture from the natural bristles and can result in the brushes shedding and feeling scratchy.
- Holding brush with bristles pointing downwards, gentle wet the brush under warm running water
- Dip the brush in a mild liquid soap and gently swirl the brush in the palm of your hand to foam up the soap
- Rinse the brush under running water again until all soap and residue is gone (you can also continue to swirl the brush in the palm of your hand under the running water to help remove all soap
- Using fingers, gentle squeeze excess water out of bristles and reshape bristles into desired shape
- Lay the brush down on a clean, dry towel and allow it to dry naturally
Our favorite soap to use is the Dr. Bronners Pure Castile Soap - it it a very mild, conditioning soap and comes in lots of great scents! https://amzn.to/3eJ7GE0
The bristles on my brush are splayed out - what can I do?
Sometimes the brush guard placed around your brush can become dislodged as a result of movement during transit and the bristles of your brush may look a little splayed out on arrival. While this is rare, if it does occur it is very easy to remedy. We recommend washing the brush as per the above instructions to ensure that smooth the bristles back into their intended shape. It is similar to when you tie your hair up in a scrunchie, the kink will remain until the next time you wash your hair. This can also occur if you pack your brushes into a makeup bag amongst your makeup products when traveling, if they move around during transit too much it can cause the brush to come out of the bag looking a little messy. Simple wet the bristles, allow them to dry and they will be back to their original shape.
My brushes are shedding - what should I do?
Mild shedding is part of the normal life cycle of natural brushes and is nothing to cause concern. When your brushes first arrive, we recommend washing them prior to use to ensure any loose hairs that are left from the normal manufacturing process are dislodged. It is then normal to lose the occasional hair when using the brushes, much like it is normal to shed hair from your own head.
My brushes feel scratchy - what should I do?
Our natural hair brushes are designed for optimal performance and the nature of hand shaped brushes vs laser cut synthetic brushes can result in them on occasion feeling scratchier than usual if you are used to using only synthetic brushes normally. If brush bristles are too soft, and all bristles are the same length, they are unable to effectively and quickly blend pigments, creams and powders onto the skin - resulting in it taking a much longer time to blend, or rendering them ineffective completely. Our brushes are made with a mixture of fine, soft hairs, and coarser, textured and crimped hairs to ensure they achieve maximum blending capability. If you have made the mistake of washing your brushes in a harsh soap, this can also result in them feeling scratchier than normal. If this has occurred, we recommend washing them again in a mild liquid soap (such as pure castile soap - Dr Bronners is our fave!) and then applying a very small amount of conditioner to the bristles and rinsing. It’s best to think of natural brushes in the same way that you think of your own hair - if you use harsh, non conditioning products on your hair, it will feel dry, scratchy and will be less shiny.
PERFECTING SPONGE CARE GUIDE
Although fairly straight forward there are a few simple steps to ensuring you get the most out of your perfecting sponges.
1. Always ensure sponge is soaked thoroughly before squeezing out excess water before use.
2. Clean sponge regularly. We recommend cleaning the sponge after each use to ensure it remains hygienic (cleaning instructions found below)
3. Avoid solid soaps and dish soaps when cleaning as these can damage your sponge.
4. Always store your sponge in a dry well ventilated place away from direct sunlight
5. Do not store sponge in sealed or semi sealed containers
6. Replace your Perfecting Sponge every 3 months for optimum performance (think of it like a toothbrush!)
Instructions for cleaning your Perfecting Sponge
1. Wet the sponge by gently squeezing it under a tap of luke warm running water
2. Once the sponge is completely wet add a mild liquid soap (Beauty Sponge Liquid Soap, Castile soap or Baby Shampoo are some good options). Do not use a solid soap as this can form hard lumps in the sponge if not completely washed out. Do not use dish soap as it is too harsh and can damage the sponge.
3. By gently squeezing the sponge work in the soap forming a thick lather and freeing any makeup contained in the sponge.
4. Place the sponge under luke warm running water again and squeeze gently to completely wash out all of the soap and makeup.
5. For heavily soiled sponges steps 2 through to 4 may need to be repeated until sponge is completely clean.
6. Gently squeeze out all excess water from the sponge and store in a dry, well ventilated place away from direct sunlight. Do not store sponge in a sealed or semi sealed container until completely dry.
Perfecting Sponge FAQ's
Why is my Perfecting Sponge misshapen after wetting or washing it?
A misshapen sponge or a sponge that will not return to its original shape can be attributed to a couple of things. Most commonly this can happen if the sponge has not been soaked through thoroughly before squeezing out the excess moisture before use. Second, this is often caused by a dirty sponge with old product in the sponge blocking its micropores and not allowing it to expand properly. Lastly, this can be caused by cleaning a sponge with solid soap cleaners. Solid soap can build up in the sponge if not washed out thoroughly during cleaning. this will result in a misshapen sponge or a sponge with a hard centre. To avoid this completely we recommend using mild liquid soap to clean all your sponges as per the cleaning instruction above.
Why does my sponge still look dirty after washing?
Some products contain colours that can permanently stain your sponge. This will not affect the performance of the sponge.
FALSE LASHES CARE GUIDE
Each pair of Nikkia Joy Cosmetics eyelashes are lovingly hand made with care. We source the highest quality materials and hair fibers available to give you the most natural and realistic looking lashes possible, at an affordable price.
Please note that all our lashes are hand made and therefore every lash is unique, with small natural variances. Product images are indicative of lash design but there may be small differences between the lash you receive and the lash you see on screen. Each lash is individual – just like you are!
1. When you are ready to wear your lash gently remove the tray from the box (do not discard plastic tray lid as this will keep your lashes safe between uses.
2. Using your fingers or tweezers gently remove the lashes from the tray. As our lashes have been delicately hand made to deliver the most natural look it is important that you be very gentle when removing them from the tray to avoid damage. We use a small amount of adhesive to attach the lash to the tray for safe transport and storage. This glue may be removed at your discretion.
3. To avoid damage and extend the life of your lashes only apply lash adhesive to the band of the lash. Avoid getting any glue on the lash fibers as later removal can be damaging to the lash
4. Prior to removing your lashes apply a small amount of make up remover to a cotton pad and apply it to the lash band for 10 seconds. This will soften the lash adhesive making it much easier to remove the lashes without damaging them. Remove your lashes gently with fingers.
5. To store your lashes between uses clean off all old lash adhesive and place them back on their tray with plastic tray cover in place. Keeping the lashes in their case will keep them safe and also retain their shape and band curvature for future uses.
With proper care Nikkia Joy Cosmetics lashes will last up to 15 uses.
What are the lashes made of?
All Nikkia Joy Cosmetics lashes are made using the highest quality synthetic materials. Our synthetic and faux mink range are constructed using finely polished and softened synthetic fibers that mimic the look and feel of real lashes. Our 3D silk lashes are made using high quality PBT silk fibers. None of our products are tested on animals or contain animal materials.
Can I curl my Nikkia Joy Cosmetics lashes?
Yes!! You can curl your Nikkia Joy Cosmetics lashes the same way that you curl your own! Please use gentle pressure when doing so and avoid the use of heated eyelash curlers.
How do I customize my lashes to fit my eye shape?
Each pair of Nikkia Joy Cosmetics Lashes has been designed to be fully customizable. Using a small pair of scissors, gently trim the lash band at either end to customize the width for your eye shape. If you are a beginner we recommend trimming small millimeters of the band off at a time and sizing them against your eye to avoid trimming them too short. The hairs of the lash have been carefully polished and taper towards the end - please do not cut the ends of the hairs as this will result in them looking less natural.